Friday, May 27, 2011

Reflecting on this past week

On Tuesday I presented my mural project to a small group of kids at Casa Guadalupe.  They seemed interested in the project, though we need to spread the word even more.   I also let them know about the workshops that I will be giving in June, and I have since made posters in Spanish that I will print and hang out around the trailer park.   

On Wednesday I got to watch the movie Walkout with the youth at Casa Guadalupe.  It was about a highschool walkout in Los Angeles by Chicano students who protested the poor conditions and maltreatment that they were receiving at their school.  There was a discussion afterward, and it was interesting to hear how much the movie had connected with the kids.

Today was a relaxing day; I researched Diego Rivera and did some sketches inspired by his work.  I also am drawing a design that I want to put with the article in La Voz Libre newspaper to accompany the article.  I will put some of the sketches up shortly.

I have also taken up volunteering teaching English at Casa Guadalupe on Tuesday and Thursday nights.  There are not a lot of official community events going on this summer, but I'm connecting with Casa in any way that I can.  This Sunday I will go to Mass, and in June I would like to organize a community brainstorming session.

No comments:

Post a Comment