Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hometown Pride

This past week, July 25 - 29, I worked with a team of helpers to scrape, brush, and prime the wall.  Mostly adults helped me with this, which helped keep things more organized during this stage.  It was hard work, but it went well.  I feel so lucky to have such dedicated volunteers. 


On Friday, July 29, I promoted my design and recruited volunteers at Cold Spring's Hometown Pride festival.  Many people gave me their name and phone number with interest, and a few even signed up for specific volunteer time slots!  The best part of the whole day was when I was leaving around 9pm to go trace the design from an overhead projection.  I dropped a dime on the sidewalk, and it rolled over to a group of young people.  We got talking about the mural project, and they said they would love to help!  One young man even told me that he has done some murals in Mexico!

This new group and I had fun experimenting with the projector on Friday evening.  After experimenting with different tracing methods, I decided against using the Gustavo Lira chalk method and just used long brushes with light blue paint.  That way the sketch will be more permanent.  After a few hours of work today, a good amount of the design is outlined on the wall.  Tomorrow I have my first official painting session with volunteers!  I am very excited.  I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know all the people that have helped me out so far.

This project is growing nicely, and I need to work on promoting it even more.  I am going to send in an article to the Cold Spring Record for next week.  Bruce had a good idea of making my mini fliers into bookmarks and giving them out around town and at St. Boniface Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment