Monday, August 8, 2011

Our work in progress

Painting the braids, 8/8/11
Despite a few delays due to rain, our muralist brigade has made fantastic progress since we began tracing on July 29.  Nearly every day I have painted, I have at least three or four volunteers helping me.  I was so excited when one of the girls who came to paint asked me if she could stay longer than her scheduled time.  These kids are making the mural their own, which is so wonderful. 

On Saturday, Mayuli brought about fifteen children ages five to 12 over to see the mural. We discussed the symbolism behind the design that I created, and then the kids got to paint for a little while.  Though a bit hectic organizing that many little volunteers at once, we had a good time.  I'm glad they will be able to have some ownership in the project now.

Today the volunteer had a lot of  fun documenting the process through video.  We fixed up the green grassy areas and filled in any spots in the foreground that needed re-touching. We also began to add blue to the hair/river. 

We are moving along at a steady pace.  The basic colors are nearly all blocked in.  Soon I think that we will need to do more detail work.  For this reason I'm very glad that my Cold Spring muralist friend will be able to paint with us tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment