Friday, June 17, 2011

La Perla

Today, following the wise advice of Mayuli, I spent several hours at La Perla Mexican store.  I sketched the atmosphere and promoted the mural project, handing out fliers for the workshops and asking questions to get people started brainstorming.  It was very fun because I got to use so much of my Spanish.

One shopper told me that he worked at Cold Spring's Gold'n Plump, and that 40% of the workers there are Spanish-speaking  (workers come from all around - even all the way from Willmar). I think this could be a valuable place for me to visit.  

La Perla's store owner gave me several ideas that she thought would be nice to put in the mural, and she recommended that I talk to a college art student who painted her store sign a couple years ago.  We went and visited the student in the trailer park and she said she would like to help out!  Our brigade of muralists is beginning to grow.

That's all for now,

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment