Saturday, June 4, 2011

On Thursday night, I presented the mural project to the Lion's Club in Cold Spring.  They were very receptive; a few people came up to me afterwards and mentioned that they knew artists with whom I might like to work!  I am trying to get in contact with the high school art teachers...

Yesterday after the meeting with Dan Kippley,  I walked all around town talking to business owners, seeing if they might be interested in hosting our mural.  The manager of the Legion told me that they will discuss it in their Board meeting on Monday. 


I also distributed several posters advertising the art workshops that I will lead in June.  My first workshop will be on June 7, and is focused primarily on Diego Rivera.  The discussions and artwork generated in these workshops are essential to the brainstorming process for the mural. 

We have a meeting set up with the Cold Spring Planning Commission for June 27.  In preparation for this meeting, I have been researching mural ordinances in other cities.  Most cities with murals do not mention them in their ordinances, but a few do.  Minneapolis' definition of a mural (as a sign exempt from the sign ordinance regulations) is as follows:
 
"And, within section 520.160, Definition of Mural: Mural. A work of graphic art painted on a building wall, which contains no commercial advertising or logos, and which does not serve to advertise or promote any business, product, activity, service, interest or entertainment." (From Mary Altman, Public Arts Administrator of Minneapolis)


Long Prairie also regards a mural as an exempt sign:

"Exterior walls must be free of graffiti and advertising except as allowed by the Chapter 16.510 – 16.519, Sign Regulations, of this Code......
 
(5) Murals painted or applied to a building require a sign permit and an artist’s conception of the painting."

  Lastly, I want to mention that I talked with Gustavo Lira, the muralist who worked with Bruce on the Mosaico de las Americas.  We have plans to meet on Friday, June 10th!  I am very excited to get to talk with him about his experience as a Latino muralist in Minnesota. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment